Glamping Cocoon Ltd, which was liquidated earlier this year, appeared at Beverley Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, May 15.

The company and its director Nicholas Oaten were collectively fined £32,640 and ordered to pay £11,012 in court costs after being found guilty of failing to comply with health and safety legislation.

However, company bosses say they will appeal the decision, stating they had complied with the Health and Safety Executive and are adamant they made the changes before the deadline.A spokesman for the now-defunct business says the fines were "a joke" and had even labelled the sheer size of it as "ridiculous".

A Glamping Cocoon Ltd spokesperson: "We will be appealing the decision, the whole point of this was a risk assessment of noise and reality of it being three or four days late is just laughable really.

"We complied, but they say it was late which is just ridiculous. We are appealing because we were adamant that we had done what we were told to and complied with the HSE.

"All we needed to do was put a piece of paper in a file saying that people who are visiting this particular area of the workshop which is noisy need to wear ear defenders. We haven't been subjecting anyone to loud noises whatsoever.

"People have been injured, or even killed, at work and the business has received a lesser fine than what we have got.

"Over 80 decibels were found in the workplace and we think the results of that are from an impact driver - which is something that you use in your own home and are usually less than 80 decibels.

"We are very, very upset about it, but have to now follow the correct legal routes to appeal."

What HSE say

The HSE say the company fell below standards gave it four improvement notices, and despite three extensions, two notices remained outstanding months after the expiry deadline.

The HSE said they had worked with the company to support their improvements but a noise exposure improvement notice to the company's employees still remains outstanding.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Louise Redgrove said: "Failure to engage with HSE exposes both employees and the business to risk.

"In this case, health risks to employees from noise were not assessed or managed and the business will have to pay a substantial fine."